Like a well-cut movie trailer or tantalizing blurb for the newest Stephen King novel, a good description can do a lot for the visibility and memorability of your Google My Business listing.
See also: How to Tell if a Google Listing Service is a Scam
It doesn’t only fill your profile with more information. It also gives you a chance to grab a potential customer’s attention and let them know what you can do for them. After all, specific details will be much more convincing than whatever vague ideas a user will have to guess at based on just your name and category.
Tips for Writing Google Listing Descriptions
You only get 750 characters to make an impression, so you’ll need to make every letter count!
Here are two things to consider:
1. Organize Your Description
As such, you’ll want to keep your information neat and organized, as though you’re writing an essay.
Here are a few rules of thumb:
- Use the first line or two to introduce your business and its history.
- Follow that with a handful of sentences describing what your company does and what makes you stand out from the competition.
- End with a call to action that clarifies the best way to contact you.
2. Content Quality is Important, Not the Length or Amount of Information
Google has several guidelines on how you should handle your description. If you want the complete list, take a look at this resource.
Here are a few of the most important tidbits:
- Always be honest about your services and products.
- Avoid misspellings, gimmicky characters (emojis, symbols, et cetera), and gibberish.
- Don’t include special promotions, sales, or links.
- Don’t display any offensive or inappropriate content, including obscenities, profanity, sexually explicit language, harassment, or anything that encourages violence.
You don’t need an English degree to write a good description. Be clear, concise, and make sure you run your words through a spell-checker before making it public. View your business description as a bite-sized opportunity for you to attract more customers, so make the most of it! Click here to get more tips from our Google Knowledge Bank or click here to contact us and we’ll answer your questions directly.